Thursday, January 06, 2011

Design In The City: Smaller Is Better.

As an “eco-urbanite,” conscious living (or as it’s come to be known “green living”) has always been a big part of my life. This is a big part of how I look at the re-design of my 735sqft-piece-of-MIAmi and probably major reason why things have taken longer to complete because I want to make the least impact on the environment along the way and make choices that are going to be better for the environment as well (I’ll write more about that later). For some time now I’ve been working on trying to devise a doable plan to remodel my home. Since I bought my condo it’s been a non-stop project marathon for many reasons, lack of money, time, energies, and/or ideas. Mostly because of the abundance of things wrong with the unit which were never apparent. Slowly I’ve gotten some of it updated here and there. But still there are so many little things that continue to come up and it is all beginning to overwhelm me with thoughts of what I really should do is to get it all done at once. At this moment I still feel that the best option is to gut it and go with a bare-minimalist-industrial look city-loft-style. The lack of funding has gotten me brainstorming for creative options and there is a chance some of the latest ideas could work. I’ll write more about these later when things are a little more solidified.

During all of my research for ideas and options of getting things done within budget (but abundance of style), I’ve come across many cool sites and images that have inspired me along this journey. This may become one of the weekly segments I write entries about and posting some of the images I’ve collected along the way. Sort of my visual/virtual “style book” for what I want to do with the space and features I want to incorporate into the design. Of course they are all very URBAN designs with a little eclecticism wrapped into it for good warm taste.

With that said I begin for now by sharing six links (& short descriptions of each) for some of my favorite sites out there for Urban Living Style. Hope you enjoy and they help you get inspired with everything that is Living In The City.

Urban Oasis (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv-urban-oasis-2010-tour/package/index.html) - This HGTV show focuses on the “Urban Oasis” and starts with the “BigBear” of city living –NYC. The apartment featured is something of an AMAZING inspiration to me. I’ve been dreaming about a place like this most of my adult life. Small yet so well designed that it makes use of every single inch of space. Of course it was designed and decorated by the now world-famous Vern Yip, one of my favorite Interior Designers, for those how were living under the undecorated rock he became famous on Trading Spaces for creating amazing spaces.

Apartment Therapy Media’s Network of Blogs - This one is actually a few things rolled into one. In their own words: "Since (they) started posting in 2004, Apartment Therapy Media’s blog network has become a must-read resource for inspiration, intelligent discussion, and product reviews for people passionate about their homes. (Their) readers are a savvy bunch— young couples looking to wallpaper a nursery over the weekend, homeowners wondering how to strip the paint off their fireplace, bachelors seeking advice on the best copper cookware, and apartment dwellers looking to maximize the storage in their new 500-square foot apartment. Influential designers, editors, architects and store owners read (their) site as well."

Apartment Therapy (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/) – Actually the main section/blog of this network, its focus is information on “home design” and there is plenty of inspiration when going through what seems endless numbers of “house tours” found on their site. There are six major US cities represented at the moment – New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, DC and Boston. Albeit you do get images and features from around the globe. “Saving the world, one room at a time” is their motto, visit and let them save your world.

Unplggd (http://www.unplggd.com/) – “Smarter homes, fewer wires” is how this technology section describes itself. Covering all the tech side of modern home living but not letting it ruin the décor they feature “people-friendly, design-forward technology and ways it can be incorporated into homes without spoiling the décor.” And they give you "house tours" as well showing how this is accomplished.

Re-nest (http://www.re-nest.com/) – “Abundant design for green homes,” really does not do justice to this blog. There is plenty of information here to “help readers made earth-friendly decisions as they furnish, accessorize and refresh their homes (because) a green home is a healthy, happy home. By managing our consumption, we can bring more life and vitality into our homes. (They) show readers how to live green in city studios, lakeside cottages and newly built homes, and keep them up to date on green news, sustainable design, great energy-efficient products, and green DIY tips.”

The Kitchn (http://www.thekitchn.com/) – Since my kitchen is the worst of all the spaces in my unit as far as I’m concerned “kitchen tours” has been a great resource to find ideas to fix it a bit. Their posts are “inspiring cooks. nourishing homes. Cooking at home is an essential part of a nurturing and healthy home environment. The Kitchn publishes over 15 posts a day on recipes, product and cookbook reviews, food storage and preparation tips, and unique kitchen tours. (They) also run seasonal cooking contests, such as the Best Lick! Ice Cream Contest and The Best Pie Bakeoff,” which for sure have some recipes to keep a “chubby bear” plump.

Ohdeedoh (http://www.ohdeedoh.com/) – Since I’m not a “Papa Bear” yet I visit this site the least because their focus is on “home. design. children.” But on occasion I will venture into their postings because there are come great images and design. For those who are parents this is perfect because “good design and children's furnishings do not have to be contradictory terms. Ohdeedoh is a site for people who care about good design, but happen to have children. It was created to help parents shape comfortable, safe and beautiful homes for their families. Featuring nursery tours, toy and product reviews, and playful and inspirational color and design tips, Ohdeedoh helps (their) readers create spaces that are kid-friendly and adult-approved.”

No comments: