Thursday, January 20, 2011

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: His Great Day Remembered

Today 50 years ago, John F. Kennedy took the Oath of Office of the President of the United States. Albeit I was not born yet, the Black & White video images of that day are still embedded in my memory as one of the most impressive moments of my life. The great poem read from memory by a sun blinded Robert Frost - The Gift Outright. Then there were those infamous words that spoke to me through time and place delivered by a man who I admire still to this day.

Here is President Kennedy 1961 Inaugural Address (Full Adrress)


A few years ago when I visited Boston for the first time, I walked through the JFK Presidential Library & Museum, immersed in the images, artifacts, pieces of a history that dated before my own. Yet the connections made were overwhelming. As I walked into the Pavilion, the final room, and read the writing on the huge wall I could not help come to tears, thinking what would have been had he lived to finish his Presidency?

“All this will not be finished in the first 100 days. Nor will it be finished in the first 1,000 days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.” -JFK

These are words that I’ve lived by for a long time because they help me remember that everyday is a journey that I must begin, even if the journey is never completed. Here are a couple of links you might enjoy:

LIFE Magazine has found some rare and never-published photos that I think are great.




1961 - Kennedy Inauguration Highlights

No comments: